Research shows that students do better at school when parents take an active role in their children's education, and parental involvement is an important part of the educational philosophy at Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences. Each CSAS family is required to contribute at least 18 hours of parental involvement and to attend two student-led parent/teacher conferences each year.
There are a variety of ways for parents to be involved at CSAS and meet the mandatory participation hours set forth in the Admissions Contract. The family involvement office communicates with regular e-mails and posts opportunities for volunteering on the bulletin board in Room 218.
CSAS parents are encouraged to complete a minimum of nine hours by the end of the first semester and 95 percent of their hours before March 1. Volunteer hours cannot be recorded without a Record of Volunteer Hours form completed and signed by the faculty member for whom parents volunteer.
The following are some of the approved parent volunteer opportunities for CSAS parents:
- Chaperoning field trips (a limit of nine hours per family per school year)
- Attending parent classes
- Bringing refreshments for events (a maximum of two hours per family per school year)
- Serving on the PTSA board of directors and working at PTSA events
- Working at CSAS athletic events, arts performances and other special activities
- Completing requested tasks in the teacher workroom
- Acting as a monitor in hallways, the cafeteria or the car line
- Working to improve the school buildings and grounds
- Monthly Saturday parent work days
- Completing assigned tasks at home with specific instructions from CSAS faculty or staff
Just a couple of reminders:
- All hours must be completed and turned-in by April 30th
- at p.m.
- 18 hours per family is required.
- Parents, grandparents, step-parents, sibling over 18 can complete hours.
- 9 hours of the 18 can come from field trips
- Parents of our seniors must complete 18 hours
- 2 hours must be educational in nature
Any time you are volunteering, please remember to treat other parents and children with the
respect you would want, we are all working together for the success of our children.
- Sign in and out in the office
- Wear a name tag while volunteering
- Do the best job possible and be positive
- Have fun and enjoy being at CSAS, we appreciate you!
What qualifies for hours:
- Helping in a class room
- Chaperoning field trips (must be supervising other students)
- Attending Social Session, Paideia Parent nights, or book discussion
- Saturday workdays
- Organizing special events, like auctions, fundraisers, performances.
What does NOT qualify for hours:
- Attending parent/teacher conferences
- Watching your child perform
- Reading with your student
- Eating lunch with your child
- Volunteering with groups like Girls scouts or Boy scouts
For even more information or to ask questions, please contact CSAS Parent Involvement Coordinator Jennifer White.
Contact her ANYTIME to see where you stand with your hours,